Last Updated: 2/14/14
Introduction and Miscellaneous:
If you have something pond-related that you want to share (information, jokes, web sites, pond secrets and tidbits, something pond-related for sale), let me know, and I will add it to the next newsletter. What topics would you like me to cover? Do you have a question that I can answer or pose to others in the next newsletter?
On 7/6/08, I got a new reptile for my 20 gallon tank. Albert (as in Albert Einstein) is a pygmy chameleon. He is darling! His page is at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/animals/Albert.htm
Significantly Altered or New Pond Web Pages, Photos, or Videos on Fishpondinfo:
1. http://www.fishpondinfo.com/myfish/otherpondphotos.htm -
(URL changed to a new directory in 2014)
Under Summer 2008 are eight photos I took off the roof of the house!
2. http://www.fishpondinfo.com/pictures2.htm -
As you probably know, I have not had time to put up the hundreds of photos people have sent me in the last almost a year! But, sometimes a great photo comes along that I just must put up! These two photos of a male fathead minnow at his best were two such photos. They are under the fish section.
New Pages on Pond Showcase:
Jim and Diane's Pond
Happenings at Robyn's Ponds:
1. On 7/6/08, I replaced the filter floss material with new material. The 1800 gallon pond was at 77 degrees F and the 153 gallon at 75 degrees F. I also squirted off the bioballs. They were incredibly heavy with slop. The top bags were also covered in short length hair algae. I found a dead frog in the pond. It was just stinky skin and bones so I don't know what species or sex that it was. For the first time, my eyeglasses fell in the pond, all the way in the pond! I was reaching for the net, and a rock grabbed them off my face.
I cut back the yellow flag iris that is growing bareroot in the overflow area of my pond. It's a monster! It will come back of course. In the process, the rice cut grass grabbed me a few times leaving its bloody trail on my arm.
2. On 7/13/08, I squirted off the flosses and the Cyprio biothings in the kiddie pool. The 1800 gallon was at 79 degrees F and the 153 gallon at 76 degrees F. I removed a one gallon pot from the pond that was totally empty. The raccoon left his teeth marks in it. I'm not sure what was in the pot! There were two yellow waterlily flowers and four white waterlily flowers (hidden under the leaves) in bloom.
3. The morning of 7/15/08, I found that the raccoon(s) had had fun in the 1800 gallon pond. They de-potted the three one gallon pots in the waterfall area. The rocks were all out and most of the aquatic planting media. They also turned half a dozen water hyacinths (that were under the net) upside down. They must be quite the acrobats!
4. On 7/20/08, I squirted off the flosses and tidied up. The 1800 gallon was at 82 degrees F and the 153 gallon at 79 degrees F. I was in my swim suit for the first time this year (I don't know why I didn't do that earlier; sometimes hip waders are just easier if you have other things to do afterwards besides lay around the pool which I never do). I fertilize most of the water lilies and lotuses and a few marginals.
5. On 7/27/08, I squirted off the flosses and the Cyprio biothings in that filter. I tidied up quickly in the late morning as it was supposed to storm in the afternoon. Plus, I went to the movies which I do about once every one to two years. The 1800 gallon was at 77 degrees F and the 153 gallon at 75 degrees F.
6. On 7/30/08, when I looked out the window at the pond, something was wrong. My floating island with the impatiens was upside down and empty. Raccoons aren't supposed to swim but somehow one swam out there and flipped it over. I used my pond net to pull up all five pots from the bottom of the pond and two of the plants that were still in the pots. I put those back on the island. The biggest plant is still missing. On top of all that, the raccoon decided to eat some of the styrofoam island, yummy! On 8/1/08, I found that the raccoon had almost removed and bitten a piece off the styrofoam filter cover for the small pump in my 50 gallon tub pond.
1. None this month due to lack of time.
Web Sites of Interest:
1. http://www.toyring.com/story.htm -
The story of a snapping turtle that was kept in a sink for years! He was rescued and is now spoiled.
What's your favorite pond-related web site(s)?
Do you have a web site you want me to mention here?
Wind & Weather sells neat things for your garden!
Newsletter Information - includes how to join
Copyright © 1997-2017 Robyn Rhudy