FTC Disclosure: Fishpondinfo contains affiliate links, and, if you click on such a link and make a purchase, and I meet their minimal requirements, then I will be compensated.

Home Animal Index Fish Index Pond Index Master Index Contact
Pond Newsletter Message
Board Pond Book Calculator
Donate Interactive Fishpondinfo Stores Pond
Showcase Guestbook

Robyn's Pond Blog for March 2021

Last Updated: 4/6/21

1. On 3/7/21, it was 42 degrees F outside at 2:52 pm. The 1800 gallon pond's thermometer read 44 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond's thermometer read 48 degrees F. I did not get in the pond. I removed leaves, put in some additives, and added water to all the ponds.

2. I fed the fish the first time for the year on 3/10/21 but, after a few days, it got cold again.

3. I heard the first wood frog call on 3/11/21. Within three days, there were five blobs of wood frog eggs in the 153 gallon pond.

4. I worked on the pond on 3/14/21 in the most horrible winds that sucked my breath and soul as they removed every degree of heat from me despite it being warm outside. At 1:23 pm, the air temperature was 54 degrees F, and I would normally be in short sleeves. Due to the wind, I put long johns under my clothes and wore a winter hat. The thermometers in the 1800 and 153 gallon ponds both read 50 degrees F. There were five bunches of wood frog eggs in the 153 gallon pond.

I got in the big pond and squirted off the filter floss. I removed the de-icers from both ponds and the biofilter cover and lighted Rudolph from the big pond. The air stone fell off the air line in the 1800 gallon pond so I had to go fetch another one instead of getting back in. I added water and additives to the ponds.

I changed the ant traps in the outlets for both ponds. I cleaned out the 20 gallon tub pond starting at 3:06 pm. I found one surviving Melantho snail and some half rotted pieces of anacharis and hornwort. I ran out of time and ability to clean the 50 gallon tub pond in 30 mph winds.

5. After updating the wood frog page, I realized that the five egg masses might hatch before I can clean the 153 gallon pond. So, I scooped them in to a mesh laundry bag and put it in the 20 gallon tub pond which I had cleaned two days before. I put a round plastic snow toboggan with a four pound lead weight on top to keep the raccoon and foxes out. I should probably take that off during the day so the pond can breathe and doesn't overheat, and the few pieces of anacharis and hornwort can get some light. Once the 153 gallon pond is cleaned, I can move the eggs back. If some have hatched, I can leave some in there and move others. If they had hatched in the 153 gallon pond before cleaning, they would have mostly died during the cleaning because they are born so tiny, hard to see, and impossible to pick up. I can pick up green frog tadpoles but the newborn wood frogs are just too tiny and delicate.

6. It was a great day on 3/21/21 but I didn't get to work on my ponds because my brother and niece came over. At 3 pm, I finally got outside and did a little bit of work. The air temperature was a nice 64 degrees F. The 1800 gallon pond was at 50 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 52 degrees F. I did not get in the big pond but, starting next week, I will probably get in every week. I collected leaves, put in additives, and added water to the ponds.

7. I had off work on 3/22/21 to clean the 153 gallon pond as well as the 30 gallon pond and 50 gallon pond. You can read about it on my 2021 pond cleaning page. I also set up the Biosteps filter in the 1800 gallon pond as it was warm. I am glad I did because the goldfish started showing signs of spawning just two days later. Once they start that, they stir up all the gunk in the pond, and the filters all clog up. I also moved the golden club pots to the shallows. They are in two two gallon pots and completely pot bound (all roots and no dirt). I hope to try to repot them after they bloom.

8. It rained most of 3/28/21 so I had to do work on the pond. At 12:35 pm, there was a lull in the rain so I did not get too wet. The air temperature was 58 degrees F just like the thermometers in the 1800 and 153 gallon ponds. I got in the big pond to remove the filter flosses around the main pump and now the pump feeding the Biosteps filter. All the filter materials were thick with dead plants and slop because the goldfish have been spawning the last few mornings which stirs up all the gunk. The plastic cover over the filter that goes to the Biosteps filter imploded like it does every year so it's all bent out of shape from trying to suck when it's clogged. During spawning time, I sometimes have to get in the pond during the week to unclog the filter intakes. I put additives in the ponds but they didn't need water due to the rain. I collected a few leaves but mostly moved on to indoor work due to the rain. Later, the horrible winds were back after a front came through with a bad storm, covering all the ponds in leaves yet again. The winds are the worst.

Continue to the April 2021 pond blog.

Pond Blog Directory

Like Fishpondinfo
on Facebook Follow Fishpondinfo on

E-mail Robyn

Copyright © 1997-2022 Robyn Rhudy

Follow Fishpondinfo on
You Tube Follow Fishpondinfo on Instagram